Back to School + Cooler Nights = Comfort Food
We also call this Chicken Surprise. Because under the melted cheese……Surprise! Broccoli! Surprise! Lemony Sauce! This is one of my kid’s favorite dishes and it has broccoli in it. They don’t like broccoli on its own just sitting on a plate. My son does not like rice. Except in this recipe – he eats it up!
With tennis, wrestling, lacrosse and lots of activities my kids need protein and vegetables. So if I have to present it under a blanket of creamy cheese sauce so be it. This is also a very easy recipe to make which is a bonus – especially after a busy day. It’s great for dinner the next night or the night after that and it’s so good heated in the microwave for lunch.
When I find a recipe that my teenagers will eat and it has vegetables in it I have to share it! You are welcome!
Here is the recipe – preheat oven to 350
- 2 large chicken breasts about 1.5 pounds. Boil or bake until done. Coarsely chop and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. OR buy a rotisserie chicken and pull it off the bone.
- Broccoli florets – about 2 cups. Steam for about 3 – 4 minutes. Squeeze a lemon wedge over it. Set aside.
- 2 cups of cooked rice – set aside.
- Sauce: 1 can cream of chicken soup, ½ cup mayonnaise, 1 cup sour cream, ¼ cup milk, juice of half of a lemon, and 1 cup of cheddar cheese – mix all of that together in a bowl.
- 1 tsp of olive oil spread in bottom of 9×13 baking dish.
- Spoon rice in bottom of pan and spread evenly.
- Layer broccoli over the rice.
- Add the chicken on top of the broccoli.
- Pour the sauce over all of it.
- Sprinkle 1-2 cups of cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly.
It is so creamy good and the lemon juice makes such a difference. I hope you like it and that it becomes one of your family’s favorites, too.